Christ-Perspective: Clearing the Guilt Prism of Satisfied Debts
A Morning Meditation from Matthew 5–7 (KJV)
Some mornings begin with birdsong. Others begin with lists.
We’ve all been there. You’re lying in bed, staring at the ceiling instead of sleeping. Maybe tomorrow has already arrived in your mind. Projects. Conversations. Bills. Regrets. Things you wish you’d said differently. Things you wish you’d done sooner.
So you get up and make a list. Lists are comforting. They organize the chaos. They quiet the mind—at least for a little while.
That was me recently.
I’ve always been an action-oriented person. I enjoy building things, writing music, solving problems, serving people. Sometimes that becomes its own temptation. I want to do. If I’m not careful, I begin believing that every quiet moment is wasted.
Yet God occasionally stops even the busiest hands at a red light.
That night, after my lists were finished and sleep still refused to come, there wasn’t much left to accomplish except thank the Lord Jesus Christ for His guidance and trust His timing.
Eventually, sleep came—not because I’d solved everything, but because He never asked me to.
The next morning I reached for my Bible before I reached for the news. Not because the news doesn’t matter. Because perspective matters more.
For reasons I can’t entirely explain, I opened Matthew. Sometimes the Holy Ghost nudges us gently. I’ve learned not to argue.
The Family Resemblance
The Beatitudes have always fascinated me.
“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs
is the kingdom of heaven.”
“Blessed are the meek: for they
shall inherit the earth.” (Matthew 5:3,5 KJV)
Notice how each blessing carries its own promise. Some inherit the Kingdom. Some inherit the earth. Some obtain mercy. Some are called the children of God.
As I read, I couldn’t help but wonder if Jesus is giving us a glimpse of something wonderfully intricate about His coming Kingdom. Salvation itself is gloriously simple—we are saved by grace through faith in Christ alone—but perhaps, once safely home, the virtues cultivated during this life become part of how God delights to order His eternal Kingdom.
That isn’t something I would insist upon as doctrine. It’s simply an observation that makes me marvel at how carefully Jesus chose every word.
Either way, one thing becomes unmistakably clear. These aren’t merely behaviors. They’re family traits. They’re the sort of heart the Holy Spirit grows inside those who belong to Christ.
Jesus Raises the Standard
As Matthew continues, something remarkable happens. Jesus doesn’t lower God’s expectations. He raises them beyond anything mankind could ever accomplish.
It’s no longer merely, “Thou shalt not kill.” Now anger itself matters. It’s no longer merely avoiding adultery. Even lust is brought into the light (Matthew 5:21–28).
At first glance, this almost feels discouraging. Until we realize what Jesus is doing. He’s exposing the impossible. The Pharisees had become experts at polishing the outside while neglecting the inside.
Jesus quietly dismantles that entire system.
God has always seen the heart. The anger. The pride. The envy. The bitterness. The hidden conversations nobody else hears. Suddenly it becomes obvious that none of us can stand before a perfectly holy God on our own record.
That realization isn’t meant to crush us. It’s meant to point us to the only One who never failed. Jesus fulfilled what none of us could.
The Debt We Could Never Pay
That thought stayed with me as I continued reading. Our culture loves the language of “paying people back.” Get even. Settle the score. Make them answer. Jesus points in another direction. Why? Because every believer knows something deeply personal.
We were carrying a debt we could never satisfy ourselves. Christ satisfied it.
The cross wasn’t a partial payment. It wasn’t a down payment. It was enough.
When I remember how much I’ve been forgiven, it becomes harder to keep a ledger against everyone else.
Jesus later teaches,
“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” (Matthew 6:14 KJV)
Forgiveness doesn’t pretend evil never happened. It simply refuses to become chained to it.
Quiet Faith Is Strong Faith
One theme keeps surfacing throughout these chapters. Don’t perform righteousness. Live it. When you pray, pray. When you give, give. When you fast, don’t advertise your suffering.
Jesus says,
“But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face.” (Matthew 6:17 KJV)
There’s something wonderfully freeing about that. Our Father sees what nobody else sees. The applause of strangers fades almost immediately. The approval of God does not.
Looking Through Christ Instead of Guilt
As I closed my Bible, one phrase stayed with me. Sometimes we spend our entire day looking through what I’d call a guilt prism. Everything passes through it. Yesterday’s failures. Today’s shortcomings. Tomorrow’s worries. Eventually we begin believing that this distorted picture is reality.
Christ hands us a different lens. Not one that excuses sin. One that properly explains it. Yes, I have failed. Yes, I still stumble. But Jesus Christ has already satisfied the debt that stood against me.
That changes everything.
Instead of asking, “How can I earn God’s acceptance today?” I can ask, “Lord, because You have already accepted me in Christ, how can I reflect You today?”
That’s a completely different way to wake up.
Walking the Narrow Way
Jesus ends these teachings with the image of two gates. One broad. One narrow. The broad way invites us to trust ourselves. To become self-righteous. To judge others while quietly excusing our own hearts. The narrow gate asks something much harder.
Trust Christ instead.
That path often feels lonely. Sometimes you’ll feel like you’re swimming upstream while the world rushes confidently the other direction. That’s alright.
Jesus never promised the broad road. He promised Himself. So tomorrow morning, before the headlines… Before social media… Before your growing to-do list…
Open the Scriptures.
Ask the Holy Spirit to remind you of what He has already written upon your heart (John 14:26). Honor your father and mother. Be quick to forgive. Stay generous. Stay humble. Walk quietly with Christ.
And when you feel like one small light in an increasingly dark world, remember this: The narrow gate has never been crowded. That’s not cause for discouragement. It’s cause for hope.
The Shepherd knows every sheep by name, and not one who belongs to Him is ever forgotten.
Comments
Post a Comment